Friday, October 17, 2008

recovery

Eliot's surgery went well this afternoon.

In addition to the g-tube, she also had a full laryngoscopy performed (a look at the throat, voice box, and vocal cords). Thankfully, the reflux has not done major damage to her throat, and her paralyzed vocal cord looked better than it did at the last check-up. The ENT could not tell us definitively if the left vocal cord was moving, and said, "It is still very weak, but I may have seen a little flicker."

Flicker? We'll take flicker.

After the laryngoscopy, the G.I. doctor placed her g-tube. The surgery was quick, and Mike and I met her in her recovery room a few minutes later. She woke up in her daddy's arms - groggy and uncomfortable - but calmed quickly. She will undoubtedly hurt for the next few days, but by next weekend, she should be back full force.

Mike and I will be staying in the hospital through the weekend while they make sure El can tolerate feeds through her new tube. I think this was a move in the right direction for Elie Mak (though I'm sure she won't be thanking us any time soon).

2 comments:

Karl said...

Thanks for the update. We have been wondering and thinking of you. This sounds like a step in the right direction and I'm sure that Elie (and you) will feel much better without the tube up her nose. Hugs to you all and to grandma & grampa, too.

Karl & Ellen

Rachael M. said...

I am SO glad to hear things went well!

Gentle squishes for that sweet girl, and you can give one to Owie, too :-D