Monday, June 15, 2009

i waited, and look what i got

I never had a baby shower. I never mailed out announcement cards. I never had professional black and white pictures taken of the twins sleeping all curled up like little bugs in Mike's hands - with a shot of their bare naked butts, and the token close-up shot of their adorable toes.

Instead, I waited. I waited for Eliot's tube to get taken out of her nose; I waited for Owen's reflux to subside (I'm still waiting on El's); I waited for both of them to be crawling and playing; and I waited for the perfect moment when the twins were both healthy and happy, and I was having a good hair day. (What?!? Some of this can be about me, ya know.)

And then, my wonderful and VERY talented friend - Robin Gilbreath - came over to our house and took the prettiest pictures. Mike and I cried when we saw how beautiful they turned out. Owen and Eliot were not adorable babies when they were born. You all know. You remember. They were teeny-tiny, purpleish-blueish creatures full of IV's and tubes and monitors. The last thing we wanted from those days were pictures to remind us.

So, when Robin was planning our photography session a month ago, she asked me what I envisioned, what I wanted. And I replied, "I want to remember the twins forever the way they are right now."

And that's the gift she has given to us. The most beautiful moment in time . . .

2 comments:

Rachael M. said...

I'd say those were worth the wait, girl.

Katie M said...

Oh my Kerrie Ann! This is absolutely the most priceless gift you could have of your children. What amazing miracles you and Mike are raising. I don't think you could ask for a better way to capture your kids lives..today! And girl, you had an awesome hair day! :-) Love to you and your precious family!